20 December 2015

Penomet


Back in October I was contacted by a distribution company who work for Penomet, and they asked me if I'd be interested in doing a review for their penis pump. Considering I hadn't reviewed anything like this since the Hydromax in 2013 I decided to accept their offer, and a month later a parcel showed up at my door. After a good window of time for some thorough testing, the review is finally here. Catch it below.

The Penomet is a water-driven penis pump, almost identical in concept to the Bathmate range of products I've looked at previously. As with any penis pump it works on the principle of lowering the pressure inside a chamber surrounding the penis, in order to draw more blood into the shaft and cause it to expand beyond its typical size. The key difference between these pumps and others which have been on the market for decades, is that they involve pumping water out of the chamber rather than air.

Penis pumps have a number of different uses: to achieve a firmer and more engorged penis prior to intercourse, helping with cases of erectile dysfunction, and penis enlargement through regular use. This review will be concentrating on the first aspect. 

The Penomet is around 11 1/2" long in total, with an internal diameter of 2 1/2". It's made from two parts: the upper half is a sturdy plastic cylinder (available in a choice of colours) which has the integrated valve at the top, and has gradients etched into the side in both inches and centimetres, going up to a maximum of 20cm / 8 1/2". The bottom half of pump consists of the rubber gaiter, which features a concertina design to allow it to be compressed. One of the unique things about the Penomet, compared to the Bathmate, is that the gaiter at the base is detachable and can be switched out with others in order to vary the pressure inside the tube. The Premium pack comes with five colour-coded gaiters in total, and this is the model that I was supposed to review, but unfortunately I ended up receiving the standard package instead, so while I like the concept of the interchangeable gaiters I can't actually comment as to how effective it is. 

As it's a water pump it's designed with the intention of being used in the bath or shower. Like the majority of men I lean towards the speed and convenience of a quick shower, though it is a little easier to mess around with something like this during a relaxing stint in the bath. In the bath it's as simple as submerging the Penomet in water, placing it over your flaccid penis, and then beginning to pump. In the shower you need to first fill the cylinder with water from the shower head or tap, but the weight of the water will immediately open the valve at the end allowing the water to steadily trickle back out, so you need to keep it shut by placing a finger over the end. Unfortunately there's no locking mechanism to keep the valve shut, as found on the Bathmate. Once the cylinder is filled up you need to try to dangle your flaccid penis into the tube without sloshing out too much water, and then push it firmly into place against the pubis, and release your finger from the valve as you give a good initial pump to establish suction. All in all it is a little more tricky, at least until you get the knack of it.

One of the first things I discovered about the Penomet is that it hates pubic hair. It really hates pubic hair. I am a modern man so I'm not wandering about with a 1970s jungle in my Andrew Christians, but I like a neatly trimmed bush rather than the smooth look, and here is where the Penomet disagrees. As it turns out, where there is hair, there is no suction. Air bleeds into the chamber from every side, bubbling up like you were checking your bike tyres for punctures after riding through a cactus patch. I gave it a good few shots before I got annoyed, and then I gave up, and then I put it away for a few weeks. I knew I was going to have to shave everything off in order to test it properly, but I really didn't want to, and frankly I don't really feel like one should have to. I made the point of digging out my Hydromax for a quick comparison, not wanting to unfairly impugn the capabilities of the Penomet lest my bush be at fault, and as it happened the Bathmate sealed in place happily, bush and all.

With the hair gone and memories of being 12-years-old flooding back to me, I can confirm that the Penomet did finally manage to obtain suction, but it never felt all that secure to me at any point whilst I was using it. I found myself moving gingerly around the shower, because if I moved a leg too much, or angled the cylinder slightly to one side, small pockets of air would still seep in. Compare this to my experience of the Bathmate, where at one point I was walking around my house with it clamped so firmly to my crotch that I wasn't even bothering to hold onto it. I would have been afraid to let go of the Penomet for even a second. The only thing I can point to with this is the "comfort pad" that comes which the Bathmate, which is made of a much softer material than the rubber gaiter, and presumably aids in forming a tight seal.

In terms of performance I found the Penomet to be somewhat average. It fulfilled its job as a penis pump, but with varying degrees of success. I could feel the pressure, and see my penis swelling up in the chamber, but using the included measurements as a guide, when I was pumped to the maximum I saw less of an increase compared to my standard size than I did when using the Hydromax. This is only a reflection on the gaiter which comes in the standard pack though, and if you're worried about over-pumping then it might be preferable for you. The valve on the Penomet was something I had an issue with, as on 90% of the time when I used the pump air would bleed in through the top and I'd have to try to hold it to stop this from happening. I found this to be less than ideal, though to be fair I did also experience issues with a leaky valve on the first Hydromax I had. Finally, just on a general point of comfort, I did find that the rubber gaiter would dig into my pelvis during use, making me miss the aforementioned "comfort pad" on the Bathmate, and glad that the maximum recommended use time was 15 minutes.

Once you're finished with the Penomet it's very simple to flick the button at the top of the valve to release the pressure and then survey your results. After using it in a series of sessions of a couple of minutes at a time, with brief breaks in between, there was a noticeable change in my penis. It seemed more engorged, felt thicker in my hand, and had definitely responded to the actions of the pump, so in that regard the Penomet was a success.

The million dollar question though, would I recommend the Penoment? My only reaction is "ehhhhhhhh..." When it comes right down to it the thing does work, so credit where it's due, but then you can't have pubic hair, and the valve is leaky and needs special attention, and it digs into you when you're wearing it, and the seal against your body can break if you move the wrong way. The list of things just builds up and it becomes a hassle. It's not a terrible product, it's just very average - too average for its price tag. It is moderately cheaper than the Bathmate model I reviewed, so ultimately its got to be your call if you're willing to pay a little more, or if you can tolerate the shortcomings for a saving. 

The Penomet is available directly from Penomet.

No comments:

Post a Comment