18 March 2015

Tenga Air-Tech Gentle / Regular / Strong comparison

I've been a little inactive on the review front lately, and to make up for it I'm going to be doing a little something fun today: comparing all three of the new Tenga Air-Tech masturbators, courtesy of my long-time friends at SexToys.co.uk

This is exciting for me because typically when there's a range of toys to choose from you never see them all reviewed by the same person, and often I find it quite difficult to decide what's going to be the right one for me to buy when I'm piecing together different people's opinions and experiences. I had that very problem with the Tenga 3D, and I ended up picking poorly. I'm hoping that by me looking at the Air-Techs all at once I'll be able to offer some continuity.

The Air-Tech is Tenga's latest iteration of their popular original Deep Throat Cup masturbator, and the twist is that for the first time they're now re-usable. This is big news for a brand that predominantly focusses on disposable single-use toys (with the notable exception of the Flip Hole line), and this is achieved by replacing the interior structure of the toy with a removable sleeve made entirely from TPE, rather than the combination of TPE and foam that was fused inside previous models. The trade-off that comes with this however is the price, you're looking at around double the cost of the originals, but that's still around a third of the cost of a Fleshjack or a Flip Hole, so in my mind this is an excellent deal notwithstanding.

From the outside the Air-Techs are very much like their predecessors, duplicating their form in size and construction. The whole toy is 6 1/8" tall by 2 1/2" wide, which last time I compared to a beer can, and which I still feel is the most convenient way to convey how they feel to hold. The outer shell is made from a single piece of hard plastic in a vaguely hourglass-style design, giving a comfortable groove to wrap your thumb and fingers around whilst holding it. Again the toy is accessible only via an end cap at the base which pops on and off, and it features a small vent hole at the top.

Unlike the Deep Throat Cups the Air-Techs do not come pre-lubricated, which is understandable as they're a multi-use product, but instead Tenga includes a sachet of lubricant tucked within the channel of the toy, which is always handy to have.

The Air-Tech is available in three different options, each of which features not only a different coloured case, but a different tightness and internal texture too. The white one is the "Gentle" and the loosest of the three, the red is the "Regular", and the black is the "Strong" which is supposed to be the tightest and most intense texture. I'll discuss their differences and how they feel individually in just a little bit.

One of the other innovations common to all the Air-Techs is what they call the "Airflow Structure." The exterior of the removable sleeves features a spiral of ribs which are designed to channel air out of the plastic case via the vent hole as soon as a penis is inserted into the sleeve, and in the process create a sensation of suction during thrusting. The suction can then be adjusted by covering the vent hole with a finger to restrict airflow, much in the way that one would tighten the end cap of a Fleshjack. The only problem with this is that I found that when I covered the vent hole entirely I could neither insert my penis into the toy, nor pull it out again if it was already inside, because there was no other point for air to enter or exit the case, and this movement of air is necessary for the Air-Techs to function correctly. The only way to really adjust the suction is to try to carefully cover only part of the vent hole with your finger, and while this works it can be a little fiddly. With the vent hole left completely uncovered I didn't really notice any increased sense of suction in the Air-Techs compared to my experience with the Deep Throat Cup, so I'm not entirely convinced of the effectiveness of the Airflow Structure, but one thing I must point out is that the toys get very noisy during use, with air whistling and wheezing out of the vent holes with every thrust.

Air-Tech Gentle
The Gentle, as the name might imply, is marketed as the least intense of the three, so I decided what better place to start than at the bottom and work my way up. I wasn't quite sure what to expect beforehand, because normally when presented with a choice such as this my instinct would be to go right down the middle and pick the "Regular" one, as perhaps like most people I neither consider my penis to be particularly over-sensitive nor under-sensitive. As it turned out I was almost immediately taken aback by how good this Air-Tech felt.

The inside of the Gentle is lined with a spiral texture which is actually quite subtle. It's enough that you can tell from the feeling that there's there's some sort of ridging there, rather than it being completely smooth, but not enough that I could have actually identified what that texture specifically was without looking at the cross-section diagram. The central channel itself undulates and has a varying thickness, but the overall tightness of the toy was something that I found quite comfortable as someone who has an above average girth. With the toy well lubricated I was able to slip inside of it without needing an excessive amount of force, and once fully inserted it felt quite snug, but without exerting too strong a squeeze. With the first few slow thrusts you can feel that changing tightness within the channel, as well as the shallow fins of the spirals rippling over the head of the penis, and as you increase this to a more vigorous speed it becomes very pleasurable. What I love about the Gentle is actually how natural it feels; the whole combination of the texture, the tightness of the channel, it's all perfectly balanced and comes together to give this wonderful sensual massaging feeling to the head of the penis as you thrust with it. It glides smoothly back and forth and gives nothing but pleasure with each stroke. I almost had to tear myself away and move on to the next one, because it felt so good that I could have kept edging myself with it for hours. I'd go so far as to say it's an unparalleled level of satisfaction in this price bracket.

Air-Tech Regular
After how much I enjoyed the Gentle the Regular had a bit of a tough act to follow, and again I wasn't sure what to expect, because I almost felt like I'd just found the right foot for my glass slipper and yet I was still continuing the search.

The interior of the Regular is quite different to that of the Gentle, this time opting for clusters of round bumps along a channel that's otherwise mostly smooth, and each of these little bumps is quite readily identifiable during use. The channel is also notably tighter, requiring a greater degree of force to insert oneself into it, and once it is on as far as it will go it does have a tendency to want to shoot right off again if you're not holding it in place firmly. During thrusting the little round bumps feel quite firm and pronounced, and they do a wonderful job of stimulating the frenulum as they slide up and down the underside of the head of the penis, but elsewhere they have a slightly different effect. As the bumps catch the corona of the glans, because they're so relativity firm there is some mild discomfort, and likewise there is a slight sense of chafing in some areas of the shaft skin, exacerbated by the added friction caused by the tighter channel. On the whole though the toy does feel pleasurable to thrust with, and as you build up a good rhythm it drowns out the modest sensations of discomfort, but it just lacks the natural feeling that the Gentle has. In a way it's also a little boring in comparison, having a largely smooth channel punctuated by clusters of bumps, and in terms of sexual stimulation I wouldn't really consider it to feel any more intense.

Air-Tech Strong
And finally onto the Strong. This is supposed to be the tightest and most intense of the lot, so had I saved the best for last?

The Strong incorporates quite an interesting internal structure, which probably isn't completely apparent from the diagram I've included, but the lower half of the channel is covered in lots of little raised squares, much like the Tenga 3D Module. Beyond that it has a couple of tight rings followed by a slightly wider chamber, giving it the most varied texture of all three Air-Techs. In terms of tightness it really does increase this over that of the Regular, despite bringing back the undulating channel seen in the Gentle to mitigate it slightly. Even with plenty of lube it did require a significant amount of pressure to insert myself into the toy, but it was doable, though the issue of the toy wanting to go shooting off with the Regular was amplified here. When it came to thrusting with the toy there was a lot more going on than with the Regular, and those textured squares felt pleasurable all around the full circumference of the head - including the frenulum - and the sensation of tightness was quite obvious and heightened this. There was some slight chafing along the shaft, specifically around the inner lining of the foreskin, but I found it less bothersome than with the Regular. One of my favourite points in the texture was towards the end, where the two tight rings were situated, and as the head passed through these the ridges did a great job of stimulating the corona. The pocket at the end, despite appearing to have texture itself didn't really add much, as once the head had fully passed though the rings there was no further to go, leaving it sat stationary here. The Strong doesn't have that natural feeling of the Gentle, but it definitely couldn't be described as boring like the Regular either. It's a little too snug to be my ideal, but it's intensely stimulating and definitely enjoyable.


After considering all three my runaway favourite has to be the Gentle, followed by the Strong, and then with the Regular in final place, just going to show how my instinct to pick the middle option wouldn't have served me well. What I haven't said yet is who I think each of the models would be best suited to, so let's look at that now.

The Gentle - best suited to those with a thicker penis; Tenga don't have a U.S. (Ultra size) model of the Air-Techs available yet, so the larger canal can more comfortably accept greater girth. Likewise it's good for anyone who prefers less of a squeezing sensation. In terms of sensitivity it's perfect for anyone with an average level of sensitivity, I really wouldn't restrict it to just people who worry about being too sensitive; I know that the head of my penis is less sensitive now in my mid-20s than when I started masturbating in my early teens, and the Gentle has more than enough sensation. It's also ideal for those who want a natural sensation from their masturbators. I'd suggest that it's probably going to be less suitable though to men who are circumcised and typically require a lot of pressure and friction to stimulate themselves, and also to anyone with a considerably below-average girth.

The Regular - best suited to those with an average penis girth, or who prefer a slightly more snug grip from their masturbators. For guys who think that the head of their penis may be a little more desensitised, but who really enjoy stimulation specifically along the frenulum region. To be avoided by those who prefer a really slick masturbator and find any hint of friction/chafing unpleasant.

The Strong - best suited to anyone who prefers a tight gripping masturbator with a lot of varied texture. To those who really enjoy exploring the unique sensations of something manufactured, rather than something that feels realistic. Great for anyone with a thinner penis who needs that smaller channel to provide them with stimulation. Least suited to guys with a thicker penis as it's a real squeeze in there.

As a final point, if your girth is over 5 3/4" in circumference then I'd suggest holding off until a bigger version comes available, as you're looking at too tight a squeeze in any of them then.


Once you're finished with the Air-Tech it's quite easy to clean ready to use again in the future. You simply pop the TPE sleeve out of the plastic case, rinse it out, and leave it to dry. The instructions even suggest that you can use soap on it and turn it inside out (unlike with a Fleshjack), which aids matters. If you simply rinse it out then the inside can be very slow to dry as it's only open at one end, so I found it helped to turned it inside out and dab it off with a paper towel. As the insert is removable you can also pre-heat it before use in a basin of warm water, but I found it heats to your body temperature pretty rapidly during use anyway. Actually getting the insert back into the case when you're done can be a little fiddly, just due to the shape of the thing, as that narrow section of plastic around the middle hinders your ability to get the first part of the sleeve past it. There is of course also the option to use the sleeve without the case if you wish, though I didn't try it this way myself.

For me what's quite interesting about the Air-Tech range is actually how they've designed the interior textures compared to the Deep Throat Cup. The Deep Throat Cup had a little bit of everything going on inside it; there were bumps, there were ridges, there was something I can't quite describe at the end, and I rather liked that assorted medley of sensations all in one toy. The Air-Techs conversely stick more closely to a single texture each, with the spiral Gentle, the bumpy Regular, and only the Strong breaking out from that a bit. Personally I don't have a problem with a continuous texture throughout, but it's something to bear in mind.

So, what's the verdict going to be on the Air-Techs? Well honestly I'm a fan, and it's the Gentle one that really won it for me. This whole range of toys is well made, reusable, affordable, and instead of just being one-size-fits-all it actually has targeted products for different people. So long as you buy the right one I think you're going to be happy, because they all feel good in their own right, but the Gentle is my favourite. This is the one that I think feels the absolute best and which has no drawbacks in my eye. It's the one that I'm going to keep using, and the one that I'd feel most happy recommending to most people out there. It's also the one I foresee myself sending to people as gifts. The only possible drawback is that the Airflow system is a bit of a dud, but I only really care about that because they mention it so much as a feature, otherwise I wouldn't have given it a single thought.

I have to thank SexToys.co.uk for sending these to me to review, and if you'd like to pick one up and try it out then be sure to use my discount code below and save yourself 10%.


No comments:

Post a Comment